12/04/2018 01:10 PM EST
Original release date: December 04, 2018
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has released an alert to provide affected users with recommended precautions against identity theft after the recent breach of the Marriott International Starwood guest reservation database.NCCIC encourages users and administrators to review the FTC Alert and the NCCIC Tip on Preventing and Responding to Identity Theft. If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, visit the FTC’s identity theft website to make a report.
National Cyber Awareness System:
11/19/2018 09:18 PM EST
Original release date: November 19, 2018
As the holidays approach, NCCIC reminds users to be aware of seasonal scams and malware campaigns. Users should be cautious of unsolicited emails that contain malicious links or attachments with malware, advertisements infected with malware, and requests for donations from fraudulent charitable organizations, which could result in security breaches, identify theft, or financial loss.
NCCIC recommends the following actions:
- Use caution when browsing the internet, shopping online, and using email.
- Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments in unsolicited emails. See Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information.
- Be wary of fraudulent social media pleas, calls, texts, websites, and door-to-door solicitations for donations to charities. See How to Donate Wisely and Avoid Charity Scams for more information.
If you believe you are a victim of a scam or malware campaign, consider the following actions:
- Contact your financial institution immediately, and close any accounts that may have been compromised. Watch for any unexplainable charges to your account. See Preventing and Responding to Identity Theft for more information.
- Immediately change any passwords you might have revealed. Avoid reusing passwords. See Choosing and Protecting Passwords for more information.
- Report the attack to the police, and file reports with the Federal Trade Commission and the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.